Cinnamon Swirl Bread
375 degree oven Total Time: 2 1/2 hours
4 ¾ to 5 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 ¼ tsp. or 1 package active dry yeast
1 1/3 cups milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter
½ teaspoon salt
Cinnamon Sugar mixture:
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup sugar
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, butter and salt just till warm (120-130 degrees) and butter almost melts.
- Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic. Shape the dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place till double in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down, turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough in half, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans.
- Roll each section of the dough out into a 12x7 rectangle. Brush lightly with water.
- Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture on each rolled out section of dough.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting from the short side. Rub edge of dough with a little water, and pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Place dough in the prepared pans and let rise in a warm place till doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap the top.
- Remove bread from pans and cool on a wire racks.